The mission statement below was adopted by Via Media USA in Atlanta, Georgia, on March 27, 2004.
Via Media USA, an alliance of associations of laity and clergy, is committed to promoting and protecting the faith, unity, and vitality of The Episcopal Church as the American expression of Anglican tradition.
- Via Media USA strives to emulate Jesus Christ, respecting the dignity of every human being;
- Affirms the four principles of the Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral—
- the Nicene Creed as a sufficient statement of belief,
- the Holy Scriptures as containing all things necessary to salvation,
- the Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Eucharist,
- and the Historic Episcopate;
- Acknowledges that Holy Scripture must be understood within the context of its origins and traditions of interpretation, as well as with the mediation of reason and the Holy Spirit;
- Nurtures greater understanding of Anglican tradition and Episcopal polity; and
- Celebrates its diverse understandings of matters outside the basic tenets of the faith as indicative of humanity’s struggle to understand God’s will for contemporary societies.
Via Media, the middle way, is not a compromise for the sake of peace, but a comprehension for the sake of truth.